Thursday, May 1, 2008

Two Days Before the Weekend

Yesterday was a Wednesday chock full of do’s and more do’s for Susan. She treated her parents to lunch at the PK Blue Water Grill which is a Cajun-like restaurant right across the street from where we live. It was her first sit down restaurant with a menu and waiter to boot in over a two months; and I didn’t realize that until I asked her when was the last time she was in a restaurant setting. Her answer was February 22nd, the evening after she received her diagnosis. Sure she was at Le Madelaine the other day; but that’s more of a cafeteria than a sit down “what would the lovely lady like to drink” service.


Afterwards she and her dad dropped off Kay at home and stopped at HEB, our local grocery store to gather the ingredients, among other needed things, for the evening’s dinner. After that, they waited for the therapist.


Velma was amazed with the progress of the Tick Arm since her last visit this past Tuesday. Even today her hand looks almost normal.


Right after the therapy session, Susan did what she’s been aching to do for some time. She went back to the kitchen and cooked a meal for Doug, Kari, and me. She cooked pork chops with a delicious blue cheese sauce. The sides included mashed potatoes and baked asparagus seasoned just right. I’m so proud of her and her accomplishments.

Here we are about to feast on Susan's handiwork. Guess who's working the camera? And what the heck is that on my shoulder?





Susan may have overdone it, though. Her back and tick arm were sore from holding it up as long as she did. So she did what any one of us would have done. She rested the following day.


Dr. Shree called today and told her that her levels were excellent. In spite of drinking fluids normally for almost a week, her sodium was good and her potassium rose a little (just the way he liked it). So, with the tick arm shrinking, add that to her progress report as evidence that Susan’s recovery is coming along nicely.


Deborah came today with the usual hilarity that she brings and spent the day together with Susan. The two of them sat on my – I mean our coma couch – and ate M&M cookies and watched Juno. Deborah was leaving just as I arrived home from work with a bundle of Mexican food from Cha Chos in my arms.

While I sweat profusely from a hard day's work three miles away, these two made a day of my - I mean, our - couch.
There will be more to report tomorrow. I’m certain Susan will continue to amaze me again with further signs of being her usual awesome self, like opening up me a bottle of Guinness as I return from another grueling day at work (big wink and grin). You never know. It could happen.
Ray

1 comment:

Kaylee said...

Oh My Word!!

I cannot believe you made your blue cheese pork chops!! Awesome! I also cannot believe you went to PK Bluewater Grill!! Youare getting stronger and stronger!! I wish I was there to go eat seafood with you guys! :( Oh well, I am also so thankful to hear about your levels from Dr Shree!! What fab news in light of the fluid restrictions being taken off! Sodium good, potassium up!! WAY TO GO!! I love and miss you sisco!

XOXO Kaylee