Tuesday, July 8, 2008

O’, The Places Sue Will Go

Susan won’t be far from us; but o’ the places she will go.

She’ll be as close to our hearts as near as her name is to our lips. She’ll soar with angels and learn their odd and curious ways. But she’ll also walk with us when our tread is heavy and our minds baffled by God’s confusing Plans.

She’ll sit in a great Hall of Learning while great Masters teach the ways of Heaven and Creation. She can’t wait till she’s a teacher herself and share her knowledge with her family and friends when it is our time. She’ll maneuver us all through the avenues and passages of the Kingdom on a grand road trip with her familiarity of Heaven’s short cuts and scenic stops. I'm sure there will be a farmer's market to browse and sushi to dine.

Till then she’ll sail to the far end of the galaxy on a pirate ship, with the Jolly Roger flapping on the breeze of gamma rays and solar winds, crossing swords with Black Beard and Captain Morgan – a mischievous wink behind her eye patch and a laugh to be heard all the way back into our dreams.

She will sit with Edgar Allan Poe and attempt to lift his spirits with quotes from a Will Ferrell movie. The dark poet will chuckle from “Old man, I'm gonna come at you like a spider monkey!” Sunset turns to night and back to morning as the laughter goes on for a very long time.

Johnny Cash will pluck a tune just for her; and he will point to earth and says: “I wrote that for you to share with your man below.” I will hear it in my sleep as she strokes my hair softly as she did when she was with me.

As far away as she seems to be she’ll always be by our sides for every Christmas and Halloween, in times of rain and warm spring breezes, birthdays and anniversaries, graduations and every precious moment coming to us. When we think we’re alone with our sighs and tears and the yearning to fill the Susan-shaped hole inside of us, she’ll be close to us to remind us of all the good times and her love for us that will never wither on the vine.

Life is a wink, a snap of the fingers in the eyes of Eternity. It really won’t be that long till we’re together again to continue the love and company we had before we were momentarily separated. It just seems that way for us mortals. We miss our Susan, our Sue, beloved daughter, sister, friend, love of my life. But we have wonderful memories of her that supersede the ones we want to forget. Those good memories will connect us to her keenly and without fail.

So to remember her with fondness and the moments we shared with her, let the final words of the great master Dr. Seuss sink the truth within us and have it take root: “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.”

Ray


9 comments:

Kaylee said...

Oh Ray-

I miss my little sisco so much and I miss you, the world seems empty, but I LOVE what you wrote...it is poignant and beautiful, and made me cry. I hope you are doing alright Ray. :)

XOXO Kaylee

Anonymous said...

Ray - what a great post. I come here every day hoping for a little something, so thank you! It was great to see, and spend time with you in Mn last week. We'll be thinking about, and praying for you often until we see you again.

Take care!
KT & Howie

Anonymous said...

Wow. That was awesome. I really can't say much more as you've stolen all the really good words.

Thank you for posting this and sharing your mind's eye view of cosmic space pirate Captain Susan of the Black Lily.

I'm still thinking of her and of you guys too. And Ray, we need to do lunch soon. Take care.

Koo-Koo said...

Ray,

This was truly beautiful and of course, made me cry. I know she was the love of your life and you miss her more than I can imagine.

This blog will forever be a place to visit and see wonderful pictures of you and her together.

I miss Susan every single day and think of her all the time. I hope she does know the ropes when it is my time to join her.

Kari

Anonymous said...

Ray,

It was great to see you and give you a hug and attend the beautiful tree dedication. How powerful it was to see all those ballons released toward heaven. I pray for God's peace and comfort as you deal with the loss of wonderful Sue. She truly was a great example of unselfish giving and unconditional love for all she met. What a powerful legacy she left in such a short period of time. As you read the book on Heaven I am praying it will speak to your heart and give you His peace that passes all understanding. Know you will continue to be in our prayers and thoughts each day as you travel this road Ray. I would be interested in your comments after you read the book. Thanks so much for your post. You are quite the writer. It was beautiful. Like Catherine I check this blog every day. It all still seems hard to believe.

Love and prayers,

Pat

Anonymous said...

I finaly fond the strength to look at Sues blog again.

That was so nice Ray, and we can all be assured that Sue has the situation under
control, I can hardly wait to join her and hear all the beautiful things she has seen.

My heart is very heavy, and
the tears still flow as I missed my baby girl so much.

It is so great that we have this blog to keep the
pirate Sues legacy going.

Doug

Anonymous said...

Ray,
What a wondeful post and a powerful ending. I am crying as I am writing to you. I am so sorry for your loss. But as you said, you are happy to have had Sue, if only for 7 short years. You were a blessing to her.
One day at a time,
Lisa

Kwelly said...

Wow. Elequant AND amusing - just like Susan.

Thank you, Ray, for the tears that shall remind me what Susan and heaven are all about.

Kari (Wells)

Taunter said...

My heart is aching right now... you brought Susan so to life with those words, Ray... I had a dream about her the other night, that it was all a mistake and that she was alive... I woke up happy, excited... thinking I needed to call all of you... and then I realized it was only a dream. The Susan-shaped whole in my world needed to read this.... so thank you.